Friday, 25 May 2012 20:04
1. You, along with only two other team members (Fraňo, Glajza) started with cycling at a very early age. Could you describe your cycling beginnings and cycling background.
I started riding my bike at the Juvenille age (up to 14yrs of age) at TJ Družstevník at Mníchova Lehota, led by Zdeněk Šíbr at that time. I participated in Cyclocross races, Track as well as Road races. After finishing Primary School, I entered a sports High School in Trenčín, but after 3 years of my studies, I quit cycling for almost 5 years. In the first years after my come-back, I was mostly attracted by mountainbiking.
2. Did you have any experience with other sports prior to cycling? What was your primary motivation in cycling, who introduced you to this sport?
It was my uncle who introduced me to cycling and supports me ever since along with all his family. And no, I am not very talented in other sports, it’s definitelly cycling I will stick to at a racing level.
3. What were your major accomplishments in cycling in the youth categories? As far as I know, you were a successful all-year-round cyclist well combining cyclocross, track and road disciplines.
I succeeded in becoming 5 times Champion of Slovakia in Track disciplines in my Junior category. I also am a Champion of Slovakia in cyclocross in Youth and Junior category. I am quite gifted in sprinting qualities, so I obtained my best achievements in fast criteriums and sprints. My most favorite cycling discipline is therefore Cyclocross, where one has to be fast – I also participated at the World Championships in Cyclocross in my Junior category.
4. After a successful period up to your Junior category spent at a Sports High School in Trenčín, you suddenly disappeared from cycling. What happened?
I discovered a different world of hanging out with my friends, partying etc. – these teenage trespasses led even to my suspension from school. I didn’t mind it that much back then, it was only couple years later when I realized I missed cycling, so I started training after work.
5. When did you start racing again?
I entered my first race again in 2006. At first I was only taking part in MTB marathons, later also cyclocross and cross country races. In the last 2 years I also compete on the road. Basically I race different categories of cycling so that I am as well prepared for my main –cyclocross- season as possible in every aspect, since every discipline is demanding in a different way.
6. You seem to be highly motivated after your transfer to Cycling Team Banská Bystrica past winter. How do you see the change of your team?
I must admit, after my transfer to Cycling Team Banská Bystrica, I am even more motivated than before. I am very grateful for the provided material and for the amount of high quality races. I train even harder than before, my approach had changed to a more professional one.
7. You made it to the National CycloCross Team, achieved great results in a road stage-race in Cameroun in beginning of the season. What are your next plans for this years’ cycling season especially in view of the upcoming cyclocross season?
My goal is to participate at as much good quality races as possible. Racing is the best preparation for cyclocross where I hope to achieve even better results than last year. I would like to make a podium finish in Championship of Slovakia in Cyclocross and also hope to take part and finish in the top 50 in the world cups in Tábor and Plzeň at the beginning of the season. I truly hope to uphold to my nomination on the National Cyclocross Team. I am very eager to try the new cyclo-cross Merida CC Carbon Team frames. For the first time in my life I will benefit of 2 identical bicycles in cyclocross. I am also very content by the team spirit in our cycling team – we are no doubt the best cyclocross team in Slovakia at present and I fully enjoy the good athmosphere during and inbetween the weekend races.